I could not have been more excited about the new features and capabilities that have recently been released of the Rational Test Workbench Eclipse client 8.6. The following is my quick recap of what I love about this release and things that you need to watch out for.
In case you are new to the Rational Mobile Test Automation and/or Rational Mobile Test Edition v8.6. Why don’t we take a look the Rational Mobile Test Automation Components first
Mobile Test Automation Components
1. RTW Test authoring Eclipse Client
Installed on the user desktop. You will use the RTW Test authoring IDE to initiate the record and play back of the applications from the desktop browser. It is also used for managing devices and applications under test.
Note: In case you are curious about what the installation looks like. I captured all the screen shots of each step of the Rational Test Workbench Eclipse Client v8.6 Installation and mobile extension.
2. Rational Test Workbench Mobile Client
Installed on the mobile devices(Android and iOS). It’s used on your mobile device to test the mobile applications and also to facilitate interactions with the Rational Test Workbench. RTW Mobile Client manages test recording and playback on mobile devices and emulators.
3. Rational Test Workbench Mobile Web Recorder
Installed on the mobile devices. It lives on the devices under test. In order to record and playback the mobile Web UI browserh tests, you will need to download and install the Rational Test Workbench Mobile Web Recorder.
For the iOS, the Rational Test Workbench Mobile Web Recorder can be downloaded from the Apple Store
For Android, the Rational Test Workbench Mobile Web Recorder is packaged with the Rational Test Workbench Mobile Client
Mobile Test Automation v8.6 new features and capabilities
1. Unified web UI Testing
What is really neat about the latest release of RTW Mobile Test Automation version 8.6 is the ability to reuse the test across the platforms both on the RTW mobile and desktop browser.
Back in version 8.5, we can only record a web tests on the RTW browser on the mobile and play back on the RTW browser on the mobile device ONLY.
In version 8.6, you can now playback your web UI tests that you recorded from the mobile on the desktop browsers. On the other hand, if you used the desktop browser to record your web UI tests, you will be able to replay them on the RTW browser on the mobile device as well. The unified web UI testing is definitely something that testers will be able to reap the benefits right away.
WATCH OUT FOR!!
1. For the mobile web UI test, DO NOT use the commercial browser to record your test. Due the security restriction from the browser and the mobile device itself. You have to use the RTW browser (web recorder) that IBM provides through the Apple store to record your mobile web UI test. For Android, the RTW Mobile Web Recorder is packaged with the Rational Test Workbench Mobile Client
2. Your mobile device supported OS version. In version 8.6, iOS we now support iOS 7.1 and for android we support v4.4